Monday, 18 July 2011

It was Friday

last friday, the day after my friends' graduation. It was the Friday of my London Olympic games interview.

The day started pretty normal, if you exclude that I was unable to have a shower the night before and I had to wake up earlier. I had my breakfast and was getting ready to get into the shower when it got me.
My bowel problem I ve had for the past 6 years, which was much better during the past 2 months. As you could probably tell, my day's start was delayed by about half an hour. I was meant to be getting the train at 9.07, but I was just entering the shower then.

Anyway, I don't want to overcomplicate things, you get the idea. I started for my interview 20 minutes late, instead of 30 minutes early. On the train I realised that I could not access the map of the area on my smartphone as I did not have the newest acrobat viewer installed.

Great, I was late, without a map, but at least with a vague idea as to where I was heading to.

Without the map, but with a few lucky guesses, I find the venue.
Thank god the organisers were not so fussy about the time, they did ask us not to arrive early, so I arrived there with a smile, and said that I had an appointment for 11.00 (it was already 11.15). They gave my a blue wristband and asked me to continue walking towards the interview area, through a welcome area, where people take your picture, verify your identity, and introduce you to the magic of Olympic games.

At 11.45 I have my interview. My interviewer was very welcoming and reassuring, she made sure I was not stressed before starting the interview, even offering me a glass of water.
She did ask me a few 'interview like' questions, asking for examples of my team working abilities and so on, but she also asked me why I wanted to be involved in the Olympic Games.

I left the interview feeling very positive, with my hopes up.
I do keep my fingers crossed for that one.

On my way back from the venue I saw that I had received about 10 new emails, most of them advertisements, but one was from a sender I did not recognise.

Opening the email, I realised it was from the conference committee I had sent my paper to.
It went through the second stage!! 

The two reviewers sent me comments, recommendations and compulsory changes for the paper, but they both agreed that my paper will be accepted if the key issues are addressed on time.


And that's how my day changed all of a sudden in a matter of a few hours!

and now, 'heads in' - "Τα κεφάλια μέσα"

for another two weeks or so, I will be unable to take a day off.
I have to complete the changes, make a poster AND write my end of year report in order to go through the year.. FUN!

Well.. isn't that why I chose to start an EngD?

The Physicist


  1. Congrats on the paper and hope you make it to the Olympics!! :)

  2. Thank you prasinada :)
    I wasn't expecting research to be this stressful!

    is it the same for everyone?

  3. It is stressful but I think our work is very creative and fun so that makes up for it! :)