Tuesday 1 March 2011

I haven't kept my promise

Its true, I managed to get overwhelmed with all the things going on around me.

I need to get better at time management.

Trying to be nice to everyone, I end up doing other people's work rather than my own, and this isnt working!

During the past couple of weeks I did finish my presentation after an eventful all-nighter when right after saving all of my words and images were mirror-imaged so I ended up doing it from the beginning.
Following that team day, I was asked to produce a piece of work for one of my colleagues, which could be done by the guys in India, but I did finish it on Friday at 6...

Then last week I was asked to do a follow up of that work, which is interesting by takes a day each time to complete (in excel..). I also put together a business case for my manager to convince him to buy me a macbook Pro, we will see how that works out. We have a meeting tomorrow to discuss my personal development plan, and my achievements for the past year, I hopefully we will discuss that computer purchase as well.

On Thursday I did travel up to Loughborough for my statistics course. I have to admit, its much more fun and understandable when you actually attend the lecture, rather than trying to understand it by reading the notes.

It was my birthday on Friday so I took the day off and went to my old university, to celebrate with my friends! Fun weekend!! There was a costume-themed party which we attended as well, with people dressing up as anything between sexy chiefs to priests.

I'll post a few pictures later.

Yesterday I tried organising my self to start my week better, but it looks like I am rushing around again. I spend the days in the office, looking around for stuff or trying to do basic calculations in excel, but what I should be doing is to try to learn how to use the programming software I mentioned in my last post, so that I can work faster and more effectively. I was planning to have produced some results by now, but the lack of tools while at the office keeps me back.
On one hand I do want to spend time in the office because I stick to the 8-9 hours a day, but on the other hand, those 8-9 hours are not spent as productive as possible.

Should I just tell them that I will be working from home until I get a new computer?
Its not just a matter of me wanting a faster processor, I do, but that's not the main issue. The main issue is that I can not install the software I want to learn how to use on my work computer(s). (Yes I have two, both with the same processing power. 1.5GHz, 512MB of RAM)

I will stop rumbling now, I was supposed to be at Ecobuild today, but it looks like I am gonna have to spend the day at home doing some work in 'R' just to show to my manager tomorrow how much easier it is..
It sounds like a plan.. I will skip the trade show for today... might go tomorrow if I feel like it.


Thank you for listening (reading)

The Physicist 





No comments:

Post a Comment